The Design Home is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The stools at your kitchen counter are truly the most coveted seats in the house. So what are the best bar stools to get the job done?
The kitchen counter is where your kids eat their oatmeal and do their homework after school. It’s where you sit, perhaps sipping a glass of wine, when it’s your partner’s turn to cook dinner. It’s the first place friends go when invited over for a get-together.
That’s why it’s so important that you nail this element of your décor. You need stylish, comfy, practical and sturdy. Here are 10 of the best bar and counter stools to check out.
Most Comfortable Counter & Bar Stools
First, let’s cover some of the most comfortable bar stools that actually look good. The kitchen is the new living room, so you may spend hours on these things, the last thing you need is a sore back at the end of the night. Combining comfort and class is important – but everyone has their own definition of style here, so here’s some variety.
- ADD LUXURY AND MODERN FLAIR to your home with the Nomad height-adjustable counter and bar stools, sold in set of two
- CLASS 3 GAS LIFT ADJUSTABLE SEAT HEIGHT ranges from 24.5-32.75", making it ideal for kitchen counters, home bars and...
- 360° SWIVELING SEAT makes these stools easy to access in tight spaces
- CHROME METAL PEDESTAL AND BASE with built-in swiveling footrest for sitting comfort and padding engineered to base prevents...
- GENEROUSLY PADDED, SMARTLY STITCHED AND UPHOLSTERED with easy-to-clean leatherette upholstery
There is nobody who will look at these stools ($124.99 for two) and wonder if they like them. You either love them—or not. And, if you love them, you’re the type of person who has a keen appreciation for all things modern. Whether they’re your thing or not, these are definitely some of the best swivel bar stools out there.
- This plush upholstered barstool features a high, generously curving back for seating comfort and support. The stylish,...
- 21"W x 21.5"D x 35"H; seat height: 24"H; seat depth: 16"D; seat back height: 10.75"H
- Durable fabric on a wood frame
- The foam padding and elastic suspension system help keep the back and seat firm and springy.
- Dark-green plush upholstered fabric in a contemporary design is complemented by solid wood legs with a brown finish.
Is it just us or does it seem like the more modern a piece of furniture is, the less comfortable it is? Not so with this barstool ($236.50)! It’s a comfortable bar stool with a back. What’s more, it offers a sleek, contoured design and soft, plush upholstery that reviewers say wipes clean easily. It’s available in either counter or bar height. We see this dark green color looking equally stunning in a kitchen with white or dark-wood cabinets.
View Amazon Brand – Rivet Modern Barstool, 35"H, Dark Green on Amazon
- 【Breathable Leathaire】Leathaire is made from perforated micro-perforated, polyurethane material, which breaths better...
- 【Comfortable & Relaxed】With its distinctive contoured bucket seat and sturdy footrest, these bar stools will provide you...
- 【Sturdy Construction】The powder-coated tubular steel base is made of premium steel, which is stronger and more durable...
- 【Easy to Assemble】All necessary hardware and instructions are included in the package. Easy to assemble in minutes. The...
- 【Product Dimension】Overall dimension: 21.5"L x 16.9"W x 38.9"H. Seat dimension: 17.7"L x 14.6"W. Back height: 11.8"....
Are these chairs love at first sight for you, too? We swoon over the light grey option ($145.99 for a set of two) and how sleek they look with those black powder-coated steel legs. Plus, they’re definitely some of the most comfortable bar stools. Check out the molded, cushioned seats and the backrest that makes you want to stick around for another cup of tea. Scratch-resistant legs seal the deal.
- 22”D x 17”W x 40”H - Seat dimensions: 15.75”D x 17”W x 30”H
- Two (2) barstools
- Upholstered in bonded leather with stainless steel
- Assembly required
- The October bonded leather barstool is a unique compliment to any decor. With its stainless steel frame, this barstool is...
We love the clean look of this white kitchen stool ($229.00 for two). OK, so maybe not if you have toddlers who wash their spaghetti down with grape juice. But if your kids are older, this is the time to have the pristine look you’ve always wanted. Imagine these stools in an all-white kitchen with marble countertops. And you won’t be sacrificing style for comfort with those backrests. The stainless-steel legs give them just the right amount of edginess, while making sure they’re sturdy. One final note, while they are white, reviewers say they’re also easy to wipe clean.
- Includes: Two (2) Counter Stools
- Dimensions: 15. 00”D x 18. 13”W x 25. 75”H
- Color: Light Blue
- Dimensions: 15. 00”D x 18. 13”W x 25. 75”H
- These back less counter stools adds a unique feature to any décor making the room more dynamic. Featuring a soft fabric seat...
These modern counter height stools ($152.45 for a set of two) are a sweet baby blue and add just the pop of color that your kitchen may be craving. We like that they’re sleek, yet study, and tuck neatly under counters when not in use. They’re also easy to assemble and will be right at home in just about any style kitchen. Imagine white cabinets, dark wood floors and these beauties. Perfection!
Modern Counter & Bar Stools
If you want to focus on looks and getting that modern or retro vibe, these are some top options. Not everyone needs to sit on pillow-soft counter stools, they just want something cool and slick to do the trick.
- ✔【Feature】industrial stylish iron tractor stool , it is heighadustable kitchen counter stool , .The round pine seat...
- ✔【Sturdy】cast iron + high quality solid pine Wood Seat Dia 13inch，Thickness: 1.57inch
- ✔【Stylish】It mimics the higher admired esthetics of the late 19th century- early 20thcentury industrial factory...
- ✔【Handcraft】Powder coating craft protect bar stool from rust; The metal base is equipped with an adjustable floor...
- ✔【Easy to assemble】, these bar tools are packed with all the necessary tools and assembly instructions. Follow the...
Chip and Joana Gaines didn’t design these cool barstools ($85), but they may as well have. They ooze farmhouse style, thanks to their base, which pays homage to vintage farm equipment. But they’re practical, too. The height adjusts to whatever counter you need them to and they swivel and won’t scratch your floor. Available in antique white, antique red and copper.
- Ring Footrest for Comfort Seating
- 360° Swivel Seat With Height Adjustable Seat from 26.75" to 32.75"
- Rubber Feet Prevents Floors From Scratching
- Backless Contoured Seat Design For Comfortable Seating
- Photo May Slightly Different From Actual Item in Terms of Color Due to the Lighting During Photo Shooting or the Monitor's...
From engagement rings to sauté pans, rose gold is on a roll these days. It somehow manages to look both classic and fresh at the same time—and these bar stools (set of two for $174.99) are no exception. They’re height-adjustable and the seat swivels, so you can turn your attention to catch any conversation in the room. Plus, their rubber feet won’t scratch your floor. These stools also come in black, chrome and gold, but our vote is for the rose gold, which will look stunning in any style kitchen.
- Set of two saddle-seat counter stools with foot rests
- Sturdy solid wood construction with A-frame design and square legs
- Contoured saddle-seat provides even weight distribution up to 220 pounds
- 24-inch seat height is ideal for counter-height (36″-39″) surfaces such as kitchen islands, work tables, home bars, and...
- Classic design fits in with both contemporary and traditional decor
The best interior designers know that not everything in your house can or should be the star of the show. These stools ($59.99 for a set of two) tuck neatly under your counter, allowing your lighting, cabinets and counters to shine. And, yet, they get the job done. Made of solid wood, they offer a footrest and a saddle-style seat that’s wider—and more comfortable—than most bar stools. They’re available in black, walnut and white.
- ★ Sturdy Material & Modern Style: All fully assembled products are made from a high-strength metal steel, and designed by...
- ★ X-brace Support & Stackable Function: X-brace support under the seat for stable and durable, easy stackable design saving...
- ★ Widely Indoor & Outdoor Using: Suitable for enhancing any space in Bar, Cafe, Restaurant, kitchen and patio bistro. (If...
- ★ Load capacity: 320lbs; Seat size:11.8" x 11.8"(Lx W), Seat Height: 24"; Overall: 15.9" x 15.9" x 24"(L x W x H)
- ★ Double protection: Rubber feet prevent from sliding and scratching floors.The grooves in the legs are specially designed...
These barstools are super trendy. But we all know that the flip side of super trendy is super dated. But, at this price ($79.99 for a set of four), will you really mind giving these to a friend or relative in a few years and replacing them with something else? The point is, they look great right now, add a lot of style, are affordable and can be used either indoors or out. They’re available in black, gun, silver and green, which would look absolutely amazing in a black-and-white kitchen.
- ★Use high-quality PVC vine, solid steel material, beautiful and firm, bearing 150kg
- ★The seat height is 65 cm, suitable for most people.
- ★ Suitable for garden parties, outdoor celebrations or trade fairs
- ★The feet are provided with anti-slip mats, which do not hurt the floor.
- ★Handmade, finely crafted, tough and durable
If you’re lucky enough to have a home where it’s always sunny and warm, then you also have the perfect place for these charming rattan stools ($372.38 for two). While they look delicate, they’re study enough to hold up to 330 pounds. There’s no assembly required and, if you need three chairs, you have an option to order just one more for $162.24. Hands down, these are some of the best bar stools for the kitchen island, whether you live on an island or not.
Questions to Ask to Decide on the Best Kitchen Stool for You
First, you’ve got to cover your bases. Is this stool for a regular height countertop or for elevated seating? Do you want your chair to swivel? What’s your price range?
Counter & Stool Height
A typical counter height is between 35″ to 40″.
The typical counter chair or bar stool should then be 23″ to 28″.
Be sure to measure these ahead of time. Don’t assume that any standard stool will work, or that you have a standard counter. Some home builders add lower counter heights in some areas for kids or people with disabilities, so take these into considerations. A lower counter can actually make things way easier if you have kids, so look to that as an upside if you’re in that situation.
Location – Kitchen Island, Bar, or Counter
The location that the stools will be used matter more for a stylistic reason. If you’re actually using these in a man cave bar, you’ll want to go for a darker wooden look. If you’re using these in a bright white kitchen with white marble countertops and copper accents, you’ll want to match that vibe.
Number of Stools Needed
Consider the number of stools you’ll need. This will impact the dimensions, style, and pricing. If you only need one or two stools you can spend more money and go for higher quality. If you’re trying to get six people crammed in at the counter, things can add up fast.
In addition, you can get away with a wild design if it’s in a smaller number. Love a purple zebra pattern? That could work with one or two, but line up four of them in a row and things might get tacky fast.
Backrests are great for relaxing and spending a good amount of time in the chairs, but these tend to be a bit pricier and heavier. It may also make storing the chairs harder if you’re trying to save space and slip them under the counter.
One hybrid approach is a low-back counter chair that gives some level of back support but isn’t taller than the counter or bar itself. This can be the best of both worlds.
As a kid, there’s nothing more fun than spinning on swivel chairs. But as the parent you may want to limit the amount of action these things get – so choose accordingly.
Swivel chairs are great for parties and easily talking to different groups of people around you. If you love to entertain, definitely prioritize the swivel.
They also allow for easy entry and exit if the chairs are heavier and harder to move. We’ve all been to that restaurant where there’s a heavy bar chair, hard to move and awkward while you bump into other patrons. The swivel prevents that.
Leather or faux leather? Natural or synthetic material? The list is endless, but think about how often these will be used, how much time and effort you want to spend cleaning these, and who will be using them.
If you have small kids drinking juices, a white chair made of absorbent cotton would be a nightmare. You’ll want a water-repellent material and a color that doesn’t show stains. Save yourself the trouble in the future by being smart about it now.
The framing of the chair or stool affects the weight of the piece, the weight capacity, and the lifetime of the product. Cheap Ikea stools will have a shorter lifespan than solid mahogany or other hardwoods. But these woods add a lot of weight, which can be good or bad. Lightweight metals such as aluminum can be both very sturdy and easy to move, but sometimes you want a heavier stool that won’t flip. Consider all of these variables before deciding.
This one is ultimately up to you – from modern to chic to retro to industrial style stools. Definitely take some time to match your kitchen materials and make sure the colors and patterns align. Spend time browsing through interior design magazines to get a feel for what combinations work or don’t work.
One designer brought up a very good point – the weight of the stools can be vitally important, for opposite reasons. If you have younger kids, you don’t want something that they can easily shake around in if they throw a tantrum or just get a little excited. That may cause the chair/stool to fall over and can lead to injury.
Conversely, if you have full-grown adults, and even overgrown adults, you’ll want the chair weight to be heavy as well to hold their frames. Typically, but not always, the weight of the chair/stool coincides with the weight capacity. You should also look into construction materials to see which are the strongest. There can be some lightweight metals that are stronger than wood, but it really depends on the specifications.
Size and Dimensions
Beyond the height of the stool, you’ll want to look into the width and depth. There are some crazy wide, plush counter chairs that just take up so much room. If you only need two of them it’s not a problem, but if you’re trying to maximize counter seating you’ll want to go for slimmer options that look good without being too cramped.
If you’re in smaller space you may want stackable stools that you can bring out just for certain events. Usually lightweight aluminum stools work well here. You can store and stack eight of these in your pantry or hallway closet and bring them out the day of.
Once you address these basic questions, there is just one question left: Can you imagine drinking your morning coffee there?
If the answer is yes, you’ve found the best counter stool for your home.