The Design Home is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here’s the situation: you want unique, eye-catching modern chairs for your home, but you don’t have the time to scroll through endless pages of products and sort through good and bad reviews to find the pieces that are worth it. That’s why we did the work for you. We’ve pulled together a curated list of modern chairs that span a wide variety of styles and uses to give you plenty of options for new chairs to complete your dining room, living space, office, or anywhere else. Keep reading for the best of the best in modern seating.
Best Overall: Schooley 26” Wide Barrel Chair
While all of the chairs on this list came highly rated by buyers, we’re naming this faux shearling barrel chair the top pick not only for its high rating but also for the almost non-existent negative comments. If you haven’t considered using this trendy upholstery look in your decor, maybe it’s time to elevate your home with this high-rated piece.
Best Splurge: Boevange-Sur-Attert 34” Wide Arm Chair
Reviewers these days are picky, to put it mildly. That’s why you should take note when a chair gets so few negative reviews, as is the case with this luxurious velvet armchair. The most expensive item on this list, there’s also a good chance you’ll be happy with your purchase, based on the high praises of other buyers.
Best Budget: Stesha Side Chair (Set of 2)
No surprises here—these molded plastic and wood chairs impressed us with both their mid-mod style and reasonable price. Use them to replace dining chairs, complete a kitchen nook, or offer unique seating in an office. Need extra seating? Multiple pairs of these chairs won’t set you back.
We get it: style is subjective. If none of these top picks did it for you, we have more to choose from. Keep reading to discover modern hanging chairs, rocking chairs, armchairs, and more.
1. Best Boho: Y- STOP Hammock Chair Macrame Swing
- Unique, boho style
- 100% cotton rope
- Overall dimensions: 31.5” x 23.6” (seat), 47.2” H
- Upholstery material: 100% cotton
- Weight: 9.38 lb.
- Frame material: Unknown
- Color(s): Beige
If you’re looking for the perfect boho statement chair for your home (indoor or out!), you’ve found it here. The only hanging chair on this list, this macrame hammock is stylish, well-made, and can support up to 320 lb. when installed correctly. Reviewers loved this beautiful, sturdy piece and mentioned hanging this chair outside in patio areas and also inside as an unexpected accent in a bedroom. Overall, the installation was rated as fairly easy, though some customers had to buy some extra supplies for a more secure setup. Note that this hanging chair does not come with an included stand, though you may be able to find a compatible product if you prefer not to hang the chair from the ceiling or another existing outdoor structure. Also, if you want a more comfortable seat, buy extra pillows for padding.
View Y- STOP Hammock Chair Macrame Swing on Amazon
2. Best Club Chair: Schooley 26” Wide Barrel Chair
- Trendy bouclé-inspired fabric
- Firm upholstered seat
- Easy assembly
- Overall dimensions: 31” H x 26” W x 28” D
- Upholstery material: 100% Polyester
- Weight: 23.1 lb.
- Frame material: Metal
- Color(s): Off-white
If you’re not quite over the recent resurgence of bouclé, this chair (while not technically bouclé) is the perfect way to get your cozy upholstery fix. The classic curved back of this metal frame barrel chair is covered in an off-white polyester material that reviewers described as “teddy-bear”-like and finished with simple, angled wood legs. The firm, comfy seat impressed reviewers with its great quality and is sure to get you to compliment after compliment. Make sure to double-check the measurements, as a few people found it smaller or lower than expected. Other than that, negative reviews were minimal.
View Schooley 26” Wide Barrel Chair on Wayfair
3. Best Armless Chair: Stesha Side Chair (Set of 2)
- Classic silhouette
- Multiple color options
- Overall dimensions: 32” H x 18” W x 20” D
- Upholstery material: None
- Weight: 12 lb.
- Frame material: Polypropylene and wood
- Color(s): Black, blue, brown, gray, red, taupe, white; (currently out of stock) pink, orange, green
These molded plastic pieces probably aren’t especially new to you, but we love them because of their versatility and enduring retro style. This set of two seats features wooden legs and a curved polypropylene seat available in a range of colors to fit your home decor. Capable of being both a staple piece and a fashion statement, this chair impressed buyers with its modern, clean look, and customization options (not only can you pick the seat color, but you can also select from two different leg colors). Reviewers bought multiple sets of these chairs for kitchens and beyond. While most reviews were positive, some people weren’t impressed with the quality of the chairs or received damaged products.
View Stesha Side Chair (Set of 2) on Wayfair
4. Best Quilted Velvet Chair: Palomo Side Chair (Set of 2)
- Velvet upholstery with quilted detail
- Chic, understated colors
- Set of two
- Overall dimensions: 30.05” H x 18.9” W x 18.9” D
- Upholstery material: Velvet-like/unspecified
- Weight: 23.15 lb.
- Frame material: Manufactured wood and steel
- Color(s): Blue, gray, rose (Several other colors currently not in stock)
Want a dining room chair that doesn’t look like a dining room chair? Enter: this fabulous set of velvet upholstered seats that would look perfect in a dining room, kitchen, home office, and beyond. The selection of fabric colors lets you add a pop of color in the form of what would usually be a neutral piece of furniture. Buyers spoke highly of these high-quality, easy-to-assembly, budget-friendly pieces and said they looked just like the product description. Bonus for dining room and kitchen settings: reviewers said the chairs are easy to clean. Despite the high percentage of positive ratings and reviewers, a few negatives were highlighted, including wobbliness, less comfort with extended use, and other quality issues. As always, remember to double-check measurements so you know you’ll be happy with the chair that arrives.
View Palomo Side Chair (Set of 2) on Wayfair
5. Best Faux Leather Chair: Duhome Modern Accent Chairs
- Multiple color and material options
- Unique shape
- Padded seat
- Overall dimensions: 19.6″ D x 19.6″ W x 33″ H
- Upholstery material: Various, including PU leather, velvet, fleece, faux fur, more
- Weight: 13 lb.
- Frame material: Metal
- Color(s): 29 options, including brown leather, white fleece, pink faux fur, multiple velvet jewel tones, more
Don’t like the look of a leather chair? No worries. This accent chair is available in scads of upholstery options—PU leather, faux fur, velvet, and more—and color choices from pink to white to brown to purple. This piece might not look it, but plenty of reviewers say the seat is plenty comfortable, with easy assembly to boot. While 85 percent of buyers gave this gorgeous, study piece 5-star ratings, some said it wasn’t the best for long-term use or comfort and may work better as an accent than a chair that gets heavy everyday use.
View Duhome Modern Accent Chairs on Amazon
6. Best Armchair: Boevange-Sur-Attert 34” Wide Arm Chair
- Attractive curved back
- Velvet upholstery
- Unique color choices
- Overall dimensions: 31” H x 34” W x 35” D
- Upholstery material: Velvet polyester blend
- Weight: 53 lb.
- Frame material: Solid wood (pine)
- Color(s): Rust, dark blue, forest green
There’s something about the chunky, sloped silhouette of this velvet armchair that just makes you want to curl up in it with a good book for hours on end. According to reviewers, this mid-mod-inspired piece is comfortable enough that you could. With a firm, foam-filled seat, striking stitching, and interesting color options, this great-looking wood frame lounge chair is worth the cost, according to buyers. A few reviewers noted that the accent armchair was smaller than expected (which could be great for small space living), but otherwise, few negatives were reported.
View Boevange-Sur-Attert 34” Wide Arm Chair on Wayfair
7. Best Home Office Chair: Bentonville Task Chair
- Chair swivels
- Modern curved seat
- Overall dimensions: 34.6” H (max) x 22.8” W x 24” D
- Upholstery material: Polyurethane
- Weight: 23.5 lb.
- Frame material: Steel and wood
- Color(s): Black; (out of stock) white, red
Shout out to the WFH crew—you’re out there planning strategies, carrying out campaigns, and running whole teams all from your own home. Why not outfit your office with furniture that’s as impressive as you are? For example, we love this stylish swivel chair from Wade Logan that features a padded, curved seat and back, adjustable height, rollers, and a combo of faux leather and manufactured wood in the construction. This piece has everything you’d want in a great office chair, including the attractive appearance, comfortable seat feel, reasonable price, and quality over time. A few reviewers did not find the seat as comfortable as others though, and one person even found the wheels too smooth, resulting in an unfortunate accident.
View Bentonville Task Chair on Wayfair
8. Best Rocking Chair: Esra Rocking Chair
- Great for nurseries
- Wide range of color options
- Padded seat and backrest for a cozy seat
- Overall dimensions: 39.76” H x 27.16” W x 37” D
- Upholstery material: Unspecified
- Weight: 50.6 lb.
- Frame material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Color(s): Blue, coffee, dark gray, green, orange, pink; (out of stock) beige, red, yellow
Rocking chairs aren’t the first style that comes to mind when you think of modern chairs, but this chair from Corrigan Studio may just change your mind. This modern rocking chair manages to be cozy and inviting while still maintaining a clean silhouette. The soft upholstery is available in multiple different colors and paired with a simple wooden base. Reviewers loved this firm, comfortable rocker in nurseries, reading nooks, and beyond, and said it looks more expensive than it is. Make sure to double-check the measurements to avoid a similar disappointment that some reviewers experienced. Also, note that while most reviewers loved this piece, some received damaged products or thought the chair was too squeaky.
View Esra Rocking Chair on Wayfair
Modern Chairs Comparison Table
|Product name||Overall dimensions||Upholstery material||Weight||Frame material||Color(s)|
|Y- STOP Hammock Chair Macrame Swing||31.5” x 23.6” (seat), 47.2” H||100% cotton||9.38 lb.||Unknown||Beige|
|Schooley 26” Wide Barrel Chair||31” H x 26” W x 28” D||100% Polyester||23.1 lb.||Metal||Off-white|
|Stesha Side Chair (Set of 2)||32” H x 18” W x 20” D||None||12 lb.||Polypropylene and wood||Black, blue, brown, gray, red, taupe, white; (currently out of stock) pink, orange, green|
|Palomo Side Chair (Set of 2)||30.05” H x 18.9” W x 18.9” D||Velvet-like/unspecified||23.15 lb.||Manufactured wood and steel||Blue, gray, rose (Several other colors currently not in stock)|
|Duhome Modern Accent Chairs||19.6″ D x 19.6″ W x 33″ H||Various, including PU leather, velvet, fleece, faux fur, more||13 lb.||Metal||29 options, including brown leather, white fleece, pink faux fur, multiple velvet jewel tones, more|
|Boevange-Sur-Attert 34” Wide Arm Chair||31” H x 34” W x 35” D||Velvet polyester blend||53 lb.||Solid wood (pine)||Rust, dark blue, forest green|
|Bentonville Task Chair||34.6” H (max) x 22.8” W x 24” D||Polyurethane||23.5 lb.||Steel and wood||Black; (out of stock) white, red|
|Esra Rocking Chair||39.76” H x 27.16” W x 37” D||Unspecified||50.6 lb.||Solid and manufactured wood||Blue, coffee, dark gray, green, orange, pink; (out of stock) beige, red, yellow|
Modern Chairs FAQs
One of the great things about shopping these days is that you can find a modern version of nearly every kind of chair. Whether you want a boho hanging chair for your patio, a modern, yet comfy armchair, or even a modern rocking chair, you’ll likely be able to find it.
We know you have a budget to stick to, so that’s why it’s great that modern chairs come in a range of price points. The chairs on this list cost anywhere from $50 to $500, with plenty of options in the middle.
The best upholstery for a modern chair depends on how you plan to use it. If you want a comfortable seat for reading or nursing, go with a velvet polyester or another soft fabric (peep the faux shearling barrel chair in this list). If you need a chair that’s easier to clean, consider a faux leather or non-upholstered plastic option.
Buying Guide: Modern Chairs
Believe us, there’s no shortage of modern chairs out there—we’ve looked. But how are you supposed to wade through the literally tens of thousands of options without a little knowledge of the important criteria to consider? In this buyer’s guide, we’ll be talking about classic modern chair styles, upholstery options, and tips for incorporating a new chair into your home.
The Influence of Mid-Century Modern Style
Many of the chairs you see available for sale today are actually inspired by classic chairs from the 50s and 60s that have remained popular because of their attractive, timeless design. One such example is the Eames chair.
The Eames-style chair can refer to multiple different looks, both inspired by classic chairs. First, you’ll often see molded plastic dining chairs similar to the Stesha side chairs on our list—you may also see a recliner with a mix of leather and curved wood that resembles the Bentonville task chair. Both mid-century modern chair models were originally designed by Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller in the 50s, and you can still buy authentic models from Herman Miller or find lookalikes online.
Even if a modern chair doesn’t have a direct link to an existing chair model, contemporary chairs often draw inspiration from mid-century modern design as evidenced by several common characteristics:
- Minimal ornamentation
- Clean lines
- A blend of natural and synthetic contrasting materials.
- Beautiful and useful
Modern Chair Upholstery
It’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the different upholstery options available to you, but we’re here with a breakdown of some of the different materials featured in this list so you can pick the one that’s right for you.
- PU leather — Polyurethane leather is a type of faux leather often used for chairs. Most PU leather has no actual leather, but one variety (bi-cast leather) does incorporate some real leather. A budget-friendly pick, PU leather is easy to clean and offers a lot of options for color variety; however, it won’t look quite as high-end as real leather and can wear in an unattractive way.
- Bouclé — The bouclé-inspired option on our list isn’t a true bouclé, but we’d like to share a little bit about this classic upholstery look that’s having a comeback. Traditionally made from wool or mohair, bouclé originally came into popularity in the late 40s and is trending again in part because of its comforting, textured softness.
- Polyester velvet — Love the look of velvet but need something less fussy? Polyester velvet is a great option for a luxe look with everyday durability. Other benefits of polyester velvet include its stain resistance. Some polyester velvet chairs include button-tufted details for extra style.
Decorating with Modern Chairs
Most of the chairs on this list, while they may be best suited for a particular purpose, are multi-functional and can be used in nearly any room. To help you think outside the box when it comes to your home design, here are a few tips for styling your new chairs.
- Pair your molded plastic Eames-style chairs with benches at your dining table. Add faux shearling throws on the plastic chairs for extra comfort and softness.
- Place a velvet armchair with a contrasting ottoman in the corner of your office to create a cozy reading nook, or use it as your main office chair to experience comfort all day long.
- Install a hanging chair (take care to do it correctly!) in the corner of your bedroom to turn it into a boho hideaway.
- Contrast your living room chairs with your sectional for a modern look that’s not matchy at all.